Eckerö Post and Custom´s House
05 Nov 2015 - 05 Nov 2017
The buildning of Eckerö Post and Custom´s House was completed in 1828. It was designed by architects Carl Ludvig Engel and Carlo Bassi and is considered to be one of Engels most important architectural works and one of the most important historical buildings from the Russian regime on Åland.
The building belongs to Åland since 1994 and is administrated by the Government of Åland. Today it is a tourist destination that is open during the summer months. The main building houses the Postmaster´s Office and a space for exhibitions and public events. There is also an apartment for visiting artists in the “Artist in Residence” programme. The north wing contains the Mail Route Museum, maintained by Eckerö´s local heritage association; Tsarevna Café och Bistro and Mercedes Chocolaterie and Butik Smått & Gott.